Low Vision Optometrist in Metro Detroit
Our low vision optometrist, Dr. Jacobi, works with patients from all over the state of Michigan to help them use their remaining vision. Dr. Jacobi works with each patient to assess both their remaining vision as well as their visual needs, forming a custom solution using the most advanced optics and technology available for low vision. If you or your loved one is suffering from low vision as a result of macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinitis pigmentosa, a stroke, or any other condition, Dr. Jacobi can help.
Our goal is for you to continue carrying out tasks and interests that are important to you or reclaim the ability to do so!. Such an activity could be driving a car, reading the paper, recognizing faces, watching TV, playing cards or board games, cooking, and anything that matters in your life.
As a member of the International Academy of Low Vision Specialists (IALVS) – a network of low vision optometrists – Dr. John Jacobi intensively studied low vision care. We are committed to maximizing our patients’ vision and helping them live their best lives.
Low vision is an eye condition that cannot be corrected with conventional eyeglasses or contact lenses. Its causes are usually due to injury, disease, or genetics and include:
- Macular Degeneration: Wet or Dry
- Juvenile Macular Degeneration (i.e., Stargardt’s disease, Best disease, etc.)
- Diabetic Retinopathy – a complication of diabetes affecting eyesight
- Retinitis Pigmentosa – leads to contraction of the visual field
- Glaucoma – damage to the optical nerve due to inner eye pressure
- Cataracts – a clouding of the eye lens
- Hemianopsia – the loss of part of the visual field
- Albinism – the lack of pigments in the back of the eye
- Other Vision-Limiting Conditions
I have gone to many chain optometry offices in the past, and I have never received the care and services provided to me by Suburban Eye Care. I have astigmatism, and have had problems with contacts in the past. Dr. Arnold took the time to ensure my contacts fit me properly. I am very happy with my new prescription and contacts.
Genuine care and hands-on advice are our primary ingredients to ensuring complete low vision services. Talk to our low vision expert in Livonia about your concerns, and we will help optimize your surroundings to accommodate your visual needs better. As an example, improved lighting makes a significant difference for many eye conditions.